Ava's Beautiful Face

Ava's Beautiful Face
Mommy is so proud!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

34 Weeks - Long Day with the Doctors

Today marked my 34th week and little did I know what my day was going to be like. It started out at 3:00 AM when I woke up with stomach pains and ended up throwing up in the bathroom for awhile. I drank some water and headed back to bed. I tried to rest awhile, which was impossible and started to feel some smaller contractions. I was scheduled today for my 34th week ultrasound so Tate and I headed out at 9 for our appointment. On the way to the clinic I started experiencing some very intense contractions. They were so strong, they brought tears to my eyes. I have never felt contractions like this before so I became a little scared. We got to the clinic and my contractions continued as I waited to for my ultrasound. When the doctor had me in the ultrasound room and started the procedure, I became really sick again and couldn't stop throwing up. We had to cut my ultrasound short, but the doctor did see that Ava looks great and all of her organs are in good shape and developing as they should. She also was able to see that Ava is head down with her bottom up. I also found out that it's her little tooshie that keeps pushing out my tummy all the time. :) She also noticed some little white specks in the fluid surrounding Ava which means that she is developing and growing perfectly. Because I was having strong contractions again we cut the ultrasound short so she could get me over to see my doctor right away. When I got to the OBGYN, they hooked my tummy up to several monitors to measure my contractions and to check on how Ava was doing. I was hooked up for about 30 minutes and continued to have a hard time keeping anything down. Finally, the contractions seemed to lessen a little and my doctor decided to do a medical exam to check on my cervix. After my examination, we found out that my cervix was mostly closed and the ultrasound showed that it is still long. This was good news for us because it means that Ava is not exactly ready to come out to play yet. My doctor spoke with another doctor and they came to the conclusion that I really needed to be admitted to Labor and Delivery over at the hospital to get some fluids and to be monitored for a few more hours. So, Tate and I headed over to the hospital and got our first experience on what it will be like the day Ava does enter this world. After I received the fluids, I felt much better and my contractions started to slow down and become much less intense. After spending a couple of hours there the hospital decided to let me go home with instructions to drink lots of fluids, get some rest and to hold off on taking my daily walks for awhile until I start to feel better. Good news is that Ava has decided to stay put in my tummy for awhile longer. We just need to make it another 3 weeks so I can be officially "full term". I just don't want her to come out too early and have to struggle. I can not wait for the day she is here and today Tate and I really thought she could be entering our family. I am going to take this whole experience as a sign to get all of the last minute little details done with her room and I will definitely be packing my bag for the hospital just in case. Who knows? Ava might be trying to tell us something. :)

No comments: