Ava's Beautiful Face

Ava's Beautiful Face
Mommy is so proud!

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

39 Weeks - Doctor's Visit - Not Much Progress

Today I had another weekly appointment with my doctor and even though I have been walking 2-3 miles every day, I still have not made that much progress. However, since my acid reflux has been so severe the past couple of weeks, my doctor wanted to talk to me about possible induction. I am still only 1+cm dilated and 60 % effaced so I am not exactly the perfect candidate for induction. My blood pressure was significantly higher than it has been in the past and even though it was in the normal range, it is still something to watch. I have also started retaining a little fluid in my feet, ankles and hands. Fun stuff. When the doctor told me he could get me in tomorrow night to start the induction, I became a little nervous. Since Tate couldn't be there with me this morning, I told my doctor I would need to discuss this with Tate first. Tate talked to the doctor over the phone later on today and we were told that the decision is completely up to us. We also have a couple other options of waiting until Friday to start the induction with a hopeful delivery on Saturday (my doctor is on call so he would be delivering our baby which would be ideal). Otherwise I could wait until my next appt on the 9th and if nothing else has changed by then, we could start the induction then with a delivery on the 10th. There are so many decisions to be made and I am really torn. At this point, there is no medication out there that is going to help me with my acid reflux anymore and I will most likely have a hard time keeping most of my food down until I deliver. I just want to do what is best for both Ava and myself. It would be really nice to have Ava this weekend because Tate would be able to spend more time with us, but at the same time I don't want to have Ava early just for the convenience of it. One of my girlfriends had a good point though when she told me that if I am not able to sleep or keep food down, I am not going to have any strength or energy left in me to get through a long labor. I am just really confused. My doctor has reassured me that Ava is 100% ready to go and that she is fully developed now, the only thing I worry about is having an induction when my body is not ready and ending up in C-section. I really do not want a C-section at all. So, for now I have decided to wait and see what the next couple of days will bring. Who knows, Ava might surprise us all and decide to come on her own very soon. :) I will keep you all posted on what we decide. Wish us luck!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey cuz! Just wanted to tell you I am thinking about you and "been there done that". While I didn't have acid refulx (feel for ya on that one) i was miserable! I was only 1cm dilated and 50% when they induced me. I ended up with a C Section and it really wasn't all that bad (I say that now..LOL) But really...I think of having a baby the other way and I cringe:) Don't forget about me when sending pics of Baby Ava. We are dying to meet her! Oh, and you are the hottest preggo chick ever! I am jealous you didn't get the joy of looking like a beached whale like me..LOL.\\Angie

kls333 said...

Hang in there. I pretty much went through 3 inductions and was able to deliver naturally with all of them. I was not dilated or effaced as much as you are, so it is possible. The epidural sped me up with all of them, so don't let the nurses say it slows you down(if you want one.)Anyway, maybe you will have her on Sat. Ben and Caleb could share a birthday with her! Good Luck.
Kristin